Who remembers these? These toasted sandwiches are very sentimental to me and remind me of the time when i was in grade 4 when my friend Bimbo (Ruvimbo) would bring them to school and shared with me. I loved them so much and begged my mum to get the toaster for us. She caved in after a year or 2 (in true Zimbabwean motherly fashion haha) and i remember using the toaster non stop during the holidays. Today i tried a twist on this on good-old baked beans on toast
- Oil, for frying
- 50g chorizo, diced (i used corned beef or you can use whatever cooked sausage you have)
- 2 tsp (10ml) paprika
- ½ bunch spring onions, sliced
- 1 can (400g) baked beans
- Salt and milled pepper
- 1½ cups (about 150g) grated mozzarella or cheddar
- 4 slices bread, buttered
- Heat a glug of oil in a pan and fry chorizo and cumin seeds until crisp.
- Stir through paprika, spring onion and beans.
- Place half the bread slices, buttered side down, on a board and top with bean mixture.
- Sprinkle with cheese and top with remaining bread slices, buttered side up.
- Toast in a jaffle iron (or snackwich machine or hot pan) until bread is golden and cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.