I have never been a natural cook, everything i know about cooking i have taught myself. So when i thought about making an apple pie, it took me 5 recipes and 7 pies later just to get the perfect one. This was delicious and i served it with icecream.
- Double-Crust Pastry
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 8 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (8 medium)
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- Heat oven to 425ºF. Prepare Double-Crust Pastry.
- Mix sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in large bowl. Stir in apples. Turn into pastry-lined pie plate. Dot with butter. Trim overhanging edge of pastry 1/2 inch from rim of plate.
- Roll other round of pastry. Fold into fourths and cut slits so steam can escape. Unfold top pastry over filling; trim overhanging edge 1 inch from rim of plate. Fold and roll top edge under lower edge, pressing on rim to seal; flute as desired. Cover edge with 3-inch strip of aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning. Remove foil during last 15 minutes of baking.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until crust is brown and juice begins to bubble through slits in crust. Serve warm if desired.